Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My First Shepherd's Pie

Tonight, I made a shepherd's pie for dinner.  I had never tasted it, and thought it would be a good hearty winter meal.  I slaved over my stove for all of 40 minutes or so.  My daughter asked for hot dogs for dinner, and I obliged since I knew it would take me a while to make the shepherd's pie.  My son fell asleep before dinner, so I let him sleep.  That thang was a holy terror from the time I picked him up from daycare, and I knew he was exhausted.  But I'm sure he'll like the pie tomorrow, because I dumped cheese all over it.  He loves him some cheese, my little mouse.  The hubs is working late tonight, so I ate shepherd's pie all by my lonesome.  That's okay, because I made a whole pan full, and we'll have leftovers tomorrow.

Since I'm timing my carbs and today was not a workout day, I topped off my shepherd's pie with mashed cauliflower in lieu of taters.  So, by default this is a low-carb recipe.  I have an aversion to anything labeled as "low-carb" but 'tis what it is.  It's also a great dinner for diabetics, and others who are watching (or should be watching) their blood sugar levels and/or waistlines.  I'm listing ingredients that I used, by the way.  My cooking style is primarily "semi-homemade" (ever watch Semi Homemade with Sandra Lee?  The blonde chick with the elaborate table decorations and themed cocktails? 



source

THAT'S my style.  Keep it simple sweetie).  So while I would prefer to pick up a container of Trader Joe's "Mirepoix" soup starter, you may apply a li'l elbow grease and dice your own carrots, celery, and onions.  To each his/her own.   Tweak as desired.


This pic does it no justice

A Simple Shepherd's Pie
Serves 6
Prep time:  As long as it takes
Cooking time:  20 minutes in the oven

96% lean ground beef
1 tb olive oil
1 head fresh cauliflower (or 2 bags frozen)
1 container of Trader Joe's Mirepoix (or 1.5 cups diced carrots, onion, and celery)
1 tb minced garlic
1/2 c shredded cheese (I used a cheddar-jack blend)
4 tb butter
1/2 c chicken broth/stock
2 tb tomato sauce/paste
worcestershire sauce
cumin
chili powder
salt
pepper

Boil the cauliflower in a large pot until it's kinda mushy (the cauliflower, not the pot).  Drain off the water.  Add butter and chicken broth to cauliflower. Add a li'l salt and pepper.  Dump all that in a food processor, stand mixer, or blender.  Blend until smooth and creamy like mashed taters. 

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  Heat a large skillet to medium heat and heat olive oil.  Add the beef and cook until no longer pink.  Add veggies and garlic, cooking until translucent.  Add a li'l cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper.  Douse with a little bit of worcestershire sauce. Stir well.  Add tomato sauce or paste and stir until combined.  Remove from heat.

Grab a baking dish (whatever size you have--I used a 9 x 13), and spread the meat mixture across the bottom.  Gently spread cauliflower on top.  Bake uncovered for 15 minutes.  Add cheese and bake for 5 more minutes, or until melty.  The sides of the pan should be bubbly too.  Enjoy that mess!  If you're super healthy, whip up an extra side of veggies to go with it.  Overachiever.


Nutritional Info (per serving)
Calories:  222
Total Fat:  8g
Saturated Fat:  5g
Sodium:  332 mg
Total Carbs:  10g
Dietary Fiber:  4g
Sugars:  5g
Protein:  25g

Percentage of Calories
Protein:  44%
Carbs:  18%
Fat:  33%

***Please note that nutritional info is estimated, and varies based on the ingredients you use.***






4 comments: