Friday, January 6, 2012

10 Things to Do Before I'm 30



I've jotted several mini-bucket lists in my day.  1,299,102,472 things to do before I hit puberty.  23,382,190 things to do before I finish high school.  289,192,018 things to do before the Apocalypse...  I'm a list-makin son of a gun, folks.  I love to start projects.  But I lose interest pretty quickly, especially when there's a glitch in my plans.  And then, it's on to the next, leaving fragments of unfinished projects all over the place.  My life is a lie mess!!!  Well, kinda but not really.  Seriously, I just need to work on my follow-through.  So, I am giving myself until November 17, 2012--my thirtieth birthday--to accomplish all 10 things on this list.  For if I do not, the spell cannot be broken, and I shall remain a beast forever.

Without further ado *toot that horn*:

1)  Create--and regularly update--a blog.  I've blogged a bit before, through LiveJournal and Yahoo Geocities.  I pretty much used my blogs as an online diary, venting my woes to my closest friends and perfect strangers.  *blink*  This blog is perfect for my commitment phobia. It's only relevant until I turn 30.  After my birthday, I can drop it like a hot potato.  Hasta la vista sucka.

2)  Be more social.  This should really say "Be less socially awkward" but you are what you eat, so...

3)  Paint more often.  Ever since I was a tiny tot, I have loved art.  I love drawing, painting, sculpting... the whole shabang.  I took a painting class in college and made a whole lot of crappy paintings, so I'm going to devote the next several months to pretending that never happened, and I am actually an artistic prodigy. 

4)  Do the Warrior Dash.  In case you didn't know, the Warrior Dash is a 3-mile obstacle course chock full of rope climbin', tire hoppin', fire dodgin' adventures. That's right.  I'm a fire dodgin' son of a gun. Training is already under way for the race, which takes place in my home state in May 2012.

5)  Train for and complete a 10K.  Notice I did not add "race."  I randomly decided to start running (like, for the first time in my life) in June 2010.  I did the Couch to 5K program to work up to running 3 miles.  I never actually did a race.  Just kidding--I did a 5K at work before I started running, but I walked most of it.  Anyhoo, I am perfectly happy not running with tons of other people.  I will settle for running all by myself, 6.2 miles straight without dying.  My life will not be a lie.

6)  Wear a bikini.  In a public place, you may ask?  Ha HA! *twirls mustache*  Maybe.  Maybe not.  I haven't worn a bikini since I was 6 years old.  It was black with multicolored stars.  (Just kidding--I wore a bikini to the beach last summer, but quickly destroyed the evidence.)  Why is this a big deal?  I am conquering my weight and body image issues once and for all.  Plus a healthy life is a happy life, cleanliness is next to Godliness, a penny saved is a penny earned...yada yada blah blah splat.

7) Design and construct a wearable garment from scratch.  When I was 5, I wanted to be a doctor.  When I was 8, I wanted to be a lawyer, and then a teacher.  As I got older, I fell in love with fashion.  I sketched constantly.  I watched my mother sew and became totally inspired.  I made my own bell bottom pants, a couple of dresses, a pair of PJs, and doll clothes galore.  The one thing I haven't done yet, is to see one of my own designs come to life.  I'm totally gonna do it.

8)  Sell stuff on Etsy.  Okay, I have to admit--this one makes my stomach hurt.  I wouldn't know what to sell... can I sell my car?  I wish I could sell on Regretsy, because I would totally sell the humidifiers I bought that sound like a freaking airplane engine.  Whatever that sounds like... they're loud, dangit.

9) Grow my biggest fro ever.  I've been growing my hair out, naturally, sans chemicals, for over a year now.  I have no frame of reference for my biggest fro to date, as it's been a jolly good 17 years or so since I last wore my hair un-chemically treated.  If my fro ever made the Guinness Book of World Records, I'd want my pic to be captioned:  "Fro-growin son of a gun."

10)  Take a birthday trip.  I've narrowed it down to two places.  The question is... Vegas or NYC?

4 comments:

  1. Wow, i am i inspired by this list! (Sadly, I have exactly a month till I'm no longer 20-something.....) I have full confidence you can do all these things, and you have a great support network cheering you on! :) Phil. 4:13 it, son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's whatsup, Sarah! You can still do a lot in just a month. Have you seen the Lifetime movie "7 Things to do Before I'm 30?" Chick gets it IN.

      Delete
  2. Kak! Do Vegas!!! We could plan to meet you there... Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete