Tuesday, August 14, 2012

A Fro in Progress

I was born with a thick head of coily, kinky, curly, spongy hair.  For years I tried to impose gravity on my hair, when by nature it was designed to defy that very thing.  Instead of working with it and loving and appreciating the awesomely wild beast that is my fro, I worked hard to tame it.

I began a cycle of growing out and cutting my hair until I got fed up in April 2010 and quit using a chemical relaxer to straighten it.  So I grew out my hair for four months, and in September 2010, I cut it (ha!) into a baby fro.  I never really knew how to care for my natural hair properly.  I had chopped my hair off before with the intent of "going natural," but I always gave up and returned to relaxing my hair.  I didn't know there was a growing wealth of knowledge for women with my hair type who wanted to wear it the way it grew out of our heads.  Growing up, I didn't know very many women who wore their way like that... you know... nappy

So now that I've gotten to know my natural hair, I'm growing it all the way out into the biggest fro I can muster.  Peep the progress from July 2011 to July 2012:



Want to see what my hair looked like boy-short almost two years ago?  Click here for a throwback.

Or click here for video I made celebrating one whole year with all natural hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment